Sunday 23 November 2014

Sunday, bloody Sunday

Sunday, bloody Sunday...

Ever since I was a child Sundays were synonymous with roast dinners. We would spend our Sundays at my grandmothers house; she would cook up the most delicious roast dinners with crispy potatoes and perfectly salted gravy, we'd all sit down to eat. Occasionally I would get to sip some of my parents wine, which was always red for beef and lamb and white for chicken and on the odd occasion pork.

As the years have passed, the tradition of a Sunday roast has always held, although these days I tend to be flying solo when sitting down to eat it. Sunday roasts make me happy, they're my comfort at the end of each week. Besides, the actual cooking and eating of the roast, one of the main joys is the selection of the accompanying wine. Unlike my nan, I'm not really set on the white for white, red for red food/wine matching, I'm more of a "what will I fancy drinking after the meal is over?" kind of girl, afterall the meal is gone in a few minutes, while the bottle of wine can stretch through the evening.


Tonight was a roast beef night, and with the change in the weather from a scorching 40 degrees celcius to a dreary rain spattered afternoon, the thought of cosying up on the couch with a movie and my blog would go great with a Shiraz. I had a bottle of red I'd bought earlier in the week on hand, a 2011 French Syrah - that would do the job perfectly. Pouring myself a hefty  serve, I set the wine aside to breathe while I prepared my dinner. With my beef happily roasting away, the time had come to snuff the wine of its breathing and get to the important task of drinking. 


As I swirl the glass the of inky goodness, the wines luscious legs dance down the glass. Aromas of berries and spice unleash. My first taste shows this not to be a big bold red but rather uncomplicated yet completely satisfying. The mouthfeel is full and lingering, soft tannins allowing for a little chew. An all together pleasurable wine, nothing fancy, but simply a perfect companion to my roast and my evening for < $20.  


Les Jamelles Syrah 2011








No comments:

Post a Comment